- Summary: Owlboy is a vertical platform adventure set in the sky, where the islands of the world have been spread apart after a great calamity. You play as Otus, among the last of the Owls, a renowned race that has produced many of the world's great wonders
Feb 11, 2018Owlboy is a three-pronged attack of success: the gameplay is tight, satisfying, and remains fresh throughout; the game’s world is visually stunning thanks to some truly masterful pixel art; and you’ll find yourself really caring about the cast of characters and the world surrounding them thanks to a compelling storyline and background lore. The game could be improved with the inclusion of map to aid exploration, but when that is the only real thing we can pick at as a negative point it is clear that we’re on to a winner.
Feb 28, 2018Ten years in the making and certainly worth the wait, Owlboy is a fantastic platform/adventure game that succeeds in making you care about the game's characters through a great tale of an underdog (or owl) wanting to prove himself to those who doubted him. Looking for a new indie game? You'd struggle to find one as well designed as this!
Feb 13, 2018When that patch comes, Owlboy is absolutely worth checking out, even if just for the pretty artwork and enjoyable story. Fortunately on top of that, the gameplay is also sound, delivering a nice puzzle platforming experience with a wealth of variety and distinctive elements. That being said, the Switch version is rough around the edges right now. It’s still possible to play through and enjoy, but it might be worth holding out for the patch (or even the physical version in May).
Aug 18, 2018Owlboy is a straight up masterpiece with amazing art, world building, lore, great music, unique but simple controls and general veriety inOwlboy is a straight up masterpiece with amazing art, world building, lore, great music, unique but simple controls and general veriety in gameplay.
The story is not what is seems and in a good way, it surprises you with a hard hit to the gut, but lifts you up a bit later. the tone is always right and the game is just straight up my second favorite game of all times.… Expand
May 22, 2018Great game. Sure it's not for everyone but however enjoys classic plattformers with some new touches, great art and music and an enjoyableGreat game. Sure it's not for everyone but however enjoys classic plattformers with some new touches, great art and music and an enjoyable story should get this. The gorgeous music doesn't come far behind. This is one of the very few games whose soundtrack entered my Spotify albums list.… Expand
Nov 12, 2018You would be forgiven for assuming this is just another in the long list of metroid-vania's to hit the Nintendo Switch. However, once theYou would be forgiven for assuming this is just another in the long list of metroid-vania's to hit the Nintendo Switch. However, once the initial first steps are taken into young Otus' journey to save his home land of Advent your heart will be warmed as you start to care about the tale that unfolds before you.
A story of an underdog overcoming adversity, it is once a gain a testament to the game and its writing as to how much you begin to care about your pixelated heroes. The music is soaring, the gameplay satisfying and by the time the credits rolled I was well and truly invested in my merry band of adventurers.
Don't let the fact that this is another in a long line of 2D side-scrolling metoridvania's put you off. This is an adventure worth taking and a rare gem that should be experienced if you have a Switch.… Expand
Mar 6, 2018Good:
- Breathtaking sprite art and animations
- Fun boss fights and sequences scattered throughout - Flying around party members and usingGood:
- Breathtaking sprite art and animations
- Fun boss fights and sequences scattered throughout
- Flying around party members and using them in place of traditional weapons and abilities is a very fun and unique mechanic
- Solid soundtrack
- The writing and animations convey emotion very well
- Great level design with the added bonus of a ton of variety
- Very unpredictable narrative but you're constantly waiting for the plot to find it's footing
- Characters are well written and interesting but the abrupt ending results in some incomplete character arcs
- Very little incentive to seek out all the collectibles but the cut scenes in the shop were some of the most charming in the game
- Some puzzle mechanics are more tedious then enjoyable
- Pacing problems throughout
- Deceptively linear; not a whole lot to explore in the open world
- The dev team set their scopes way to wide plot wise, leaving for a sudden and frankly disappointing ending
- The Switch's problem with precise controls can lead to some frustrating moments
- Some frame rate issues during boss fights
Jul 27, 2018Owlboy looks fantastic. The music is amazing and the characters are really charming. However, there are quite a few problems with this game :Owlboy looks fantastic. The music is amazing and the characters are really charming. However, there are quite a few problems with this game :
- It's way too short. Finishing it took me less than 10 hours, with very little incentive to go back and play again.
- Playing in handheld mode or with the joycons by themselves is really hard and uncomfortable due to the constant jumping between the R stick and the A/B/Y/X buttons. Use a Pro controller or the joycons grip.
- Some bosses are hard to understand. When I see a boss, I should be able to understand its patterns pretty easily. In Owlboy some bosses feel like messes
- The difficulty is really weird, going from hard bosses to ones that are quite easy.
- The game is *very* linear. Additional collectibles are almost only secret rooms or rewards for clearing areas, not actually finding new parts of the map.
- There's literally nothing after the credits. No new game +, nothing like that. The game tells you the results of your actions but you don't get to experience them, which makes the ending very frustrating. Trying to re-launch your save after you've finished the game just sends you back to right the moment right before the final boss.
In the end I just want more content... The game is definitely too short and linear, where there could have been tons of expansions made.
Is Owlboy overrated? Definitely. But it still has amazing visuals and an overall good story-line. It's just a shame that the game is so... weak, content wise.… Expand
Jul 27, 2018Con los años los metroidvanias se han convertido quizas en mi segundo genero favorito tras los RPGSs. Por eso me sorprendo a mi mismo dandoleCon los años los metroidvanias se han convertido quizas en mi segundo genero favorito tras los RPGSs. Por eso me sorprendo a mi mismo dandole una nota tan normalita a un metroidvania que ha tenido tan buena recepcion por la critica como owlboy. De hecho, si tengo que pensar en algo memorable de este juego, es el cuidado apartado grafico pixel art...
La historia de owlboy cumple su funcion, recordando a la de algunos estudios de animacion como gimli. Sin embargo, a diferencia de estos, en owlboy solo encontraremos momentos puntuales en los que son capaces de tocar nuestra fibra sensible.
Otra cosa positiva en principio es el gameplay innovativo, que introduce la mecanica de vuelo. No obstante, aunque aplaudo su valentia, innovar no es siempre sinonimo de mejorar. Al principio la mecanica entretiene, pero conforme avanza el juego se acaba haciendo tediosa, y los controles acaban siendo enrevesados. Tambien encontramos menos habilidades de exploracion y backtracking que otros metroidvanias, haciendose un juego mucho mas linial: ve a la mazmorra 1, observa la historia, ve a la mazmorra 2, observa la historia, etc... quizas el punto que lo hace salir peor parado.
En general un buen juego, pero lejos de ser de los mejores de su genero… Expand
Aug 16, 2018Bought this at a sale on the eShop. It plays like crap and controls are idiotic!
Got stuck on the worm boss and, unless I'm missing someBought this at a sale on the eShop. It plays like crap and controls are idiotic!
Got stuck on the worm boss and, unless I'm missing some upgrades, I'm stuck there due to the **** stupid difficulty spike.
If I had to review it in one word: ****… Expand